Friday, February 26, 2016

Fun Facts

First of 2016!

The wealth of richest 1% of humanity is equal to the other 99%. Progress!

Millionaires control 41% of world's wealth, and are expected to take even more in the years ahead.

By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans. These “plastic soups” are growing at a rate of 10x every decade since the 1950s. It is expected to continue growing as our population increases.

The above stat has been disputed. Read more here:

I like this comment from Reddit:

"40 years ago a headline might have read, "With current consumption and disposal rates of plastic, the world will have 5 massive plastic oceanic gyres the combined size of India, Europe and Mexico." Would that have been outragious clickbait? It's now a reality."

However, this is most likely true:

Sometime in the last few years, we reached a point where there are, by weight, more ships in the ocean than fish.

63% of Americans can't afford a $500 car repair or a $1,000 emergency room visit.

Global unemployment numbers will hit almost 200 million in 2016.

More people now die from air pollution than malaria and HIV combined.

Half the world's population (nearly 5 billion) will be short-sighted (myopic) by 2050.

If slavery were a country it would have the population of Canada, but it would be the third-largest emitter of CO2 after China and the United States.

European Queens waged more wars that European Kings. From 1480 to 1913 there was a 27 percent increase in wars when a queen was in power, as compared to the reign of a king.

Gov. Rick Snyder has appointed more than a dozen "emergency managers" to replace democratically elected leaders in Michigan, most of them in majority black cities.

There are more shopping malls than high schools in the United States; 93 percent of teenage girls say that shopping is their favorite pastime.

Lesbians have a 9% wage premium over heterosexual women, whereas gay men face an earnings penalty of 11% compared with straight men.

66 million hungry school-age children across the globe could be fed for six years for the same amount of money Americans will spend on Valentine’s Day this year.

The average American watches 5 hours of TV per day.

In Southeast Florida, the sea could rise three feet by 2060.

By the end of last year, the contributions of just 158 families and the companies they own (a staggering $176 million) made up about half the total funding in the 2016 presidential race.

The state of Wyoming has only two escalators.

Rice does not need to grow in water, but since it can survive it, it is done to control weeds and other pests creating higher yields.

Colorado offered free birth control — and teen abortions fell by 42 percent.

Life expectancy for Syrians (average) 2010: 79.5 years. 2014: 55.7 years.

Only seven women are allowed to wear white when meeting the Pope.

Across Europe, more people are dying than being born.

Between 2002 and 2012, college textbook prices rose 82% while overall consumer prices rose 28%.

Americans are more likely to die younger than people in other developed nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.