Sunday, December 29, 2013

Where the streets are plowed with cheese


This is actually up the street from me.
Nice to see we made the New York Times:
This month, Milwaukee began a pilot program to repurpose cheese brine for use in keeping city roads from freezing, mixing the dairy waste with traditional rock salt as a way to trim costs and ease pollution.

“You want to use provolone or mozzarella,” said Jeffrey A. Tews, the fleet operations manager for the public works department, which has thrice spread the cheesy substance in Bay View, a neighborhood on Milwaukee’s south side. “Those have the best salt content. You have to do practically nothing to it.”
But in this dense urban setting, Milwaukee officials are reviewing a list of potential problems that come with cheese-coated streets: Would a faint odor of cheese bother residents? Would it attract rodents? Would the benefits of cheese brine, said to freeze at a lower temperature than regular salt brine, be enough to justify the additional hauling and storing requirements?
Pouring Cheese on Icy Roads in (Where Else?) Wisconsin (NTY) The good part is you can scrape it up and put it on your pizza for that gritty, rubbery taste.

UPDATE: Apparently we're in the news for some less pleasant reasons.

4 comments:

  1. Is this is a reference to "An American Tail"? Great film, like "Gangs of New York" just, for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I haven't seen that since I was a kid. The streets are paved with cheese. I'm not sure even a mouse would want to eat the cheese on our streets, though...

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to wrap this topic around your usual themes and the best I can come up with is "waste not, want not"--that things are getting to the point that we need to reuse things that would otherwise cost money being disposed of. Otherwise, it looks like one of my "I can't be all DOOM all the time" posts. If so, I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus it's right outside my door - Tony Zielinski (pictured in the article) is my alderman.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.