Monday, March 28, 2011

New Series on Automation

So today I'm finally going to publish my series on automation. This was prompted by a few experiences - in particular the installation of automatic checkout terminals at my library, and a recent Paul Krugman column discussing automation. These things coming at a time of increasing unemployment really made me sit up and take notice. I had heard arguments for automation over the years but I always dismissed these people who asserted that we'd all be replaced by robots as technophilic daydreamers - after all, weren't these the same people who said we'd be living in moon colonies in the year 2000 and be riding around in flying cars? But, having done research for this article, now I'm not so sure. I think we need to start this discussion. Anyway, this article was one of the main reasons I wanted to start blogging again. It was complicated by the fact that literally every day I came across new data and articles that were relevant to my thesis, and kept adding more and more information and revising my arguments. I could probably go one doing that for months, but I think at some point you have to say it's good enough and put it out there. That's the downside of not having deadlines! Although I wrote it as one piece, due to it's length, I'm publishing it as a series. So, I hope you enjoy, and please do read the links, they are really essential notes for the topic, and hopefully educational as well.

I have a whole host of future topics, it's just finding the time to commit them to paper (digital paper, as it were). Many of them have to deal with the real sources of our problems, what kind of world we'll be living in, what the future may look like, and how we can cope with it. There will also hopefully be suggestions on how we can create a better world, or at least a better life for ourselves. I'm currenlty working a post about Japan that I hope to have ready for next week. In the meanitime, enjoy the current articles.

Have a great day!
-Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.